Greek couple arrested over Princes Street Gardens suspicious device find

A 35-year-old man and 32-year-old woman have been arrested in connection with a suspicious package found in the centre of Edinburgh.

Tuesday, 15th June 2021, 12:57 pm
Updated Tuesday, 15th June 2021, 1:38 pm

The Greek couple were arrested on Tuesday at separate locations in the Capital - Granton Road and King George IV bridge – more than three years after the incident which sparked a major police response in Princes Street Gardens.

The suspicious item was discovered in a public shelter in the gardens by a park ranger on January 11, 2018.

Army bomb disposal experts from Craigiehall were called in and a controlled explosion was carried out about three hours after the alarm was raised. No one was hurt during the incident.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police outside Princes Street Gardens on King's Stables Road following the incident in January 2018. Pic: Alistair Linford.

Police at the time described the item as a brown, shoe-sized box.

Detective Chief Superintendent Stuart Houston, Police Scotland's head of Organised Crime and Counter Terrorism, said: “Since the discovery of the item, officers from Police Scotland’s Counter Terrorism Unit have carried out extensive enquiries, including with European partners and law enforcement agencies.

"They have been absolutely committed to this protracted and challenging inquiry to identify those believed to be responsible. This has resulted in the arrest of two people today."

Chief Superintendent Sean Scott, Police Scotland's Divisional Commander for Edinburgh, said: "Enquiries by Police Scotland are ongoing and I want to reassure the public that the activity in Granton Road and on King George IV Bridge was pre-planned and intelligence-led.

Police sealed off King's Stables Road. Pic: Jon Savage.

"You will see an increased police presence, however, there is no wider risk to the community."

Earlier on Tuesday, pictures emerged showing police officers entering a block of flats on Granton Road. Photographs from the scene also showed forensics teams and a white tent erected close to the Wardie playing fields.

Granton Road was partially closed by officers this morning, prompting Lothian Buses to announce a diversion for their Number 8 service, but it has since reopened to traffic.

A message from the Editor:

Police outside a property in Granton Road on Tuesday. Pic: Lisa Ferguson

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription at