Edinburgh weather: Experts predict snow for Capital later in week as yellow weather warning remains in place

The Met Office has predicted snow for Edinburgh later on this week and early next week as further warnings of snow and ice are issued across Scotland.

By Hannah Brown
Tuesday, 2nd February 2021, 8:27 am
The Met Office has predicted snow across Edinburgh on Sunday and Monday (Photo: Andrew O'Brien).
The Met Office has predicted snow across Edinburgh on Sunday and Monday (Photo: Andrew O'Brien).

Edinburgh is expected to see rain throughout the day on Tuesday, as forecasters have said that sleet and snow is expected to feed up from the southwest.

However, as the temperature drops on Sunday, snowy showers are expected to arrive, with a 40-50% chance, in the early hours of the day with this snowfall potentially lasting throughout the day under temperatures of 1 - 2°C until it turns to sleet at 9pm that night.

The temperature is also expected to drop on Monday, February 8, averaging at around 0-1°C with a 50-60% chance of snow showers in the morning and a 40% chance of snowy conditions in the afternoon.

The news of potential snowfall in the Capital comes as a further yellow weather warning of snow and ice come into place in Scotland throughout the week.

Snow, with a risk of widespread ice will last until 11.59pm today for the majority of Scotland whilst on Wednesday this yellow warning will continue into certain northern and southern areas including Edinburgh and then remain in place for northern Scotland until Saturday morning.

Jason Kelly, Met Office Deputy Chief Meteorologist said: “While the south of the UK hangs onto the milder air for much of this week as we approach the weekend, the area of low pressure responsible for the snow across the north of the UK will clear, allowing colder air to push south and west across much of the country.”

“Further snow is expected for most parts of Scotland on Friday, while Saturday will be cold for all.”

Elsewhere in the UK, parts of England including Leeds and Sheffield have seen heavy snowfall overnight, with the Met Office warning rural communities are at risk of becoming cut off and widespread travel disruption is likely.

An amber weather warning for snow came in force across much of South Yorkshire, and parts of Derbyshire, West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester at 3am on Tuesday and will last until 1pm today.

A message from the Editor:Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.