In the golden age of steam, it was the gateway to Auld Reekie from the west of Scotland, occupying a vast stretch of the city centre and welcoming large numbers of rail travellers.
Sadly, the curtain call arrived on September 9, 1965, and the grand railway station was completely demolished within five years.
1. A grand interior
The interior of Princes Street Station showing a platform entrance and the ornate refreshments bar in 1963. Photo: TSPL
2. Squash and a squeeze
Hibs fans queue at Edinburgh's Princes Street station for the special train to Glasgow in March 1959. It was to end in disappointment though as the Scottish Cup tie ended in a 2-1 win for Third Lanark. Photo: TSPL
Legendary Caledonian Railway locomotive number 123 arrives at Princes Street Station, 1962. Photo: TSPL
4. Laurel & Hardy
Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy (Laurel and Hardy) at the Caledonian railway station in Edinburgh 13/4/1954. Photo: TSPL