Family-run fruit and flowers specialists Rankin’s flourished to become an Edinburgh institution, after establishing itself at the end of the Edwardian era.
Renowned for its quality, the Rankin brand sold a mixture of home-grown produce and exotic items, imported from all over the globe.With branches in Princes Street, the West End, Tollcross, Corstorphine, Leith, and as far afield as Musselburgh, their shops were all over the place in the 1950s and ‘60s, before a rise in car ownership and supermarkets saw profits take a hit towards the end of the century.
The business was sold in 1985, but memories of the much-loved greengrocer chain remain strong decades later.
5. Flagship shop
The West End premises containing Vallance confectioners and Aitken & Niven pictured in 1949, shortly before Rankin's moved in. Photo: TSPL
6. The founders
William and Peter Rankin started the business in 1912, selling fruit and vegetables from a small hand cart in Infirmary Street. Photo: Contributed
7. Earl Grey Street 1973
A Hunter demolition sign was placed on the corner above Rankins fruit & veg shop on the east side of Early Grey Street, which was due to be demolished. Photo: Joe Steele
8. Princes Street counter
The counter at Rankin's shop on Princes Street, 1960. Photo: Unknown