Edinburgh dog walkers warned after large bars of chocolate found on Water of Leith path
A warning has been issued to pet owners after large bars of chocolate were seen scattered near Edinburgh’s Water of Leith footpath.
A member of the public spotted the chocolate at the base of trees between Stockbridge and Dean Village while out on a walk on Friday morning and said he fears they have been put there to poison dogs.
Stuart Murray, of SSPCA, said: “We have received a report of chocolate being left on the ground around the Water of Leith.
“Chocolate is poisonous to dogs so dog walkers in the area should be vigilant.
“If anyone believes the foodstuff was left there to deliberately harm an animal then please report this to our animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”
According to People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), symptoms of chocolate poisoning usually take between two to four hours to appear and include diarrhoea, vomiting, drinking more than usual, being unusually restless or excited and a painful belly.
For more information visit: https://www.pdsa.org.uk/