Today there are less than a dozen cinemas in Edinburgh – but there was a time when Scotland’s capital had literally dozens of them.
Indeed, George Baird's 'Edinburgh Theatres, Cinemas and Circuses: 1820-1963' lists more than 120 picture houses across the city.
Many of them opened in 1913, which was real a boom year for cinema. Sadly, most of magical movie theatres have long since been demolished, with many of them making way for luxury flats.
1. The Ritz Cinema, Rodney Street
The Ritz cinema in Rodney Street Edinburgh. The last film shown was on November 28th 1981 with Exorcist II (the heretic) and Mad Max and the building was demolished in 1983. Photo: TSPL
2. Alhambra Cinema, Leith
The Alhambra cinema was located near the Foot of Leith Walk but was demolished in the 1960s. Photo: TSPL
3. The Capitol, Leith
The Capitol cinema closed in 1961 and was developed into a bingo hall. Photo: TSPL
4. New Victoria Cinema, Clerk Street
United Wire Works employees queue outside New Victoria cinema for a special showing of the film South Pacific in January 1959. The cinema was rebranded as Odeon in the 1960s. Photo: TSPL